It is Thursday, and I am still waiting for my Indigo order to arrive, still no luck! However I had quite a few other packages waiting for me at the Post Office….
Tuesday, I realized that my books were not going to help me with this week’s post and I have 5 “lesson plans” to make, but many more blog posts. So I started scowering the internet to find something that would help me with my lesson plans. I found quite a few resources that I hope to use within the next couple of months but one that was AMAZING and I am so excited to share it with all of you!
First, a little back story– we do not have TV, we have a TV but not cable or whatever, we have have a ROKU box which we all love. We are all able to watch what we want (except full games, sorry Mike) without all of the hassle of commercials and timeslots! Win Win (except during CFL, NFL, soccer, etc)! When Amilee was about 2 I found this wonderful YouTube Channel, Cosmic Kids Yoga. In ECMP 355 I know I talked about how awesome I thought this program was, but I want to get more into it here. On cold winter days Amilee would PARTICIPATE in the different yoga programs. I found that she, even at 2, was very engaged and could do a lot of the poses. She adores Jaime, the instructor, and still at 5 years old loves the programs.
While looking all over the internet I found that, Jaime, from Cosmic Kids Yoga, offered a FREE crash course in teaching kids yoga. I read over the intro and it is the perfect fit into my learning project! Here is what I am expected to learn over three, thirty minutes videos
• Coaches you in the ‘how-to’ of kids yoga: how to perform a story so the kids follow you, so they get the benefits of the yoga
• Teaches you about development and anatomy of kids aged 2-12
• Equips you with a class structure that works every time
• Full video instruction of 114 kids yoga postures – including anatomical focus and teaching tips
• Includes membership to our thriving private Facebook community
• Includes personal video feedback from Jaime for your teaching development – this is required to graduate with full Cosmic Kids certification
• Includes our downloadable posture A-Z, The Big Yoga Posture Book, which you can print or keep as a pdf on your tablet or smartphone, showing teaching tips and anatomical guidance for every posture
• Includes full downloadable manual of all study notes, to help you learn offline
• Coaches you in the script of a proven kids yoga adventure (Squish the Fish!)
So far I have finished one of the videos, “Breathing life into the Postures” and this is a summary of what I have learned:
- Keep the Poses BASIC- this gives children immediate confidence that they can do the postures, it keeps everything safe for both the students and the teacher
- Keel the instructions SIMPLE- kids vocabulary is not as large as ours, make sure that they can easily understand what you mean and that they do not get lost in directions; No lefts or rights, start the instruction from the bottom to the top (ending with the head)
- Make the yoga poses come alive! – Give postures names, jobs, places to live and friends, build an entire universe around each pose, if there is not a yoga pose that works- invent one!
- Make sure the postures are easy to learn
Jaime also went through 10 different yoga poses and gave the benefits and how I could make the pose come alive; for example the “shark pose” is great for strengthening the back, opening the shoulders, and is great for stretching out the back after sitting at a desk all day. To bring the posture alive, make the kids wiggle their fin and sing the “duu duu duu” song from the movie Jaws.
Jaime ended the video with some FAQ about teaching kids yoga; here is a quick summary- you need to have professional liabilities insurance and a background check to teach kids yoga; there are no laws requiring you have a licence as in adult yoga. The kids yoga instructor SHOULD also participate in a yoga class, and this crash course is aimed towards all ages of kids!
I am going to take Jaime’s advice and I will be doing my second yoga class since I was pregnant tonight! I also enrolled Amilee in kids yoga next Wednesday in Carlyle from 4-5. I am hoping the instructor will let me observe!
I will report back on the last two videos of my crash course!
Thank you for reading!